Wednesday 5 October 2011

Why?

In his book, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", Stephen R Covey suggests the best way to learn something is to learn it knowing that you'll have to teach it to someone else. (Not that I read the book. I tried. But I don't read all that quickly and I got bored so I listened to the audio book instead. I can't say it made me highly effective though.)

But, anyway... I'm an 'English Teacher'. Specifically, I'm a 'Native English Teacher' in Turkey. And like most natives who've staggered into teaching after a month-long CELTA course, my level of grammar is usually lower than the students I teach.

I was a product of Thatcher's education system which meant leaving school with a knowledge of grammar that extended to nouns, verbs, adjectives and sod all else.

Oh sure, I can talk the talk but I wouldn't know a past participle if it wore a name tag and was formally introduced to me.

So, here we go. I'm going to take Steve's word for it and learn this grammar thingy. As I go, I'm going to share my learnings. I hope I don't bugger it up. But, if I do, let me know.

Enjoy the ride...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Billy! Remember me? My experience 'teaching' English to Kindergardeners at ITK somehow means that I am qualified to teach Intermediate - Advanced level ESL college exchange students here in the states... my first day, a Korean student corrected me when I used 'swam' as the past participle of swim. Turns out it's 'swum'. I don't think 'swum' even sounds like a word but what do I know! I've had to start splitting my time equally between studying grammar myself and preparing lessons since my students have started to doubt that I know English. The good news is I've finally learned what the present perfect is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shauna! Great to hear from you. I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure that 95% of all natives around the world are struggling in the same way. This is exactly why I started the blog.

    It appears your student is right. However, I'm not sure I've heard myself say the word 'swum' but it'll be one of two things: 1. we're not aware we're saying it 2. we break the rules, which is quite likely.

    I've got the present perfect next week, so I might come to you for help :)

    Billfredo

    ReplyDelete